Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Statutory or Consensual... Is there a difference?

Some people have been blogging about the recent revision of legislature that changed the existing statutory rape laws. The age was brought down to 13 (THIRTEEN).

While I feel that people should have the right to do what they want whenever they want, we are talking about children here. It takes very little to convince a child to do something an adult would not do, AND there are too many hit-and-run johns out there who prey on children as it is.

Now they go and change the friggin law so that it makes it LEGAL. For gods sake, ask a WOMAN of 18 what she thinks of sex and compare that to what a GIRL of 13 would say.

This instance is sad in itself as I feel it heralds a further downgrading of our society and now, our sisters and cousins have to be protected even more.

Even in the United States (which some consider to be one of the most decadent societies in the world) the statutory age is 18. WOMEN have been sent to jail for having sex with boys who were under 18.

Far as I am concerned anybody who is 13 is still a child. And as such anyone having sex with any child is a pedophile.

7 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger Erin said...

That is horrifying. As a mother raising a girl, I am constantly fighting. Kids aren't being taught the right thing, kids arent being held accountable. These kids are going to be the majority. I am trying to instill something in my daughter and I hope and pray that she will be able to be happy with herself and proud knowing she is in the minority. Our world is just run on sex. I have only had my own head on straight since I became a mother. I want to have more children but I am scared to death to think about what kind of world I am raising more than one child in. It is a full time (exhausting) job distracting, correcting, teaching, protecting one child. I see, as an adult and parent, how sex is supposed to work. 13 year old should not have adult relationships. They desperatly want to be mature and experienced in the eyes of their peers. it is just so scary to think of how stupid everything is going to be when my 6 year old is that age. I may have been ranting. I am sorry. that probably didn't make any sense. I was just passing by. I am just really tired of how laws and schools are becoming so relaxed, and parents aren't parenting, ...in very important areas.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger sittingnut said...

no law was passed. they just discussed it in a cabinet meeting about two weeks back. now they have completely backed down.

as usual cabinet showed itself to be full of incompetent fools!

 
At 6:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. There are many instances of underaged consensual sex, with both parties below 16.
2. When these cases come up before magistrates (because of complaints by parents of either party), the magistrate has no option but pass a harsh sentance on a minor.
3. The proposed amendment was to allow magistrates the discretion, where the boy concerned was below 16 to, accept that consent given by the girl was valid. (If there was no consent then the charge is rape. If the boy was over 16 then statutory rape would apply).

 
At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry, missed something in my post-the above was what a lawyer in the Attorney General's office told me.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger sittingnut said...

jack point: what i heard was that boy had to be below 18(and not 16) for magistrate to use discretion.
anyway whole thing was withdrawn.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Curious Yellow said...

Isn't it 14 in France? Or is it Canada, can't be bothered to STFW for it :)

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Curious Yellow said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home